Working on vacation???

Yes. Indeed. But hear me out. While I make a religion of maintaining a proper work/life balance, this is an extraneous circumstance. When I got the plane tickets to Mérida with James, I was a bit apprehensive about the ~5 hour layover that would take place in prime sleeping time. We landed in Mexico City at around 12:30 am, and our flight to Mérida doesn't leave until 5:30. So we parked ourselves in a coffee shop called Pasión del Cielo (miraculously open, as are a bunch of other shops and eating places like nobody knows what time it is thankfully) to spend the bulk of our waiting time. I got a cinnamon iced latte to help keep me awake, which is kind of working, but I also can't help but think of the nice shower and nap I'm going to have what feels like an eternity away.

So I went on my work email to see if there was anything to do, because I have no real work or things to do otherwise! And there was something to do. One of our Defenders in Guatemala sent in his hour and expense report for the family separation work he did in May, meeting with people who were separated from their children and connecting US lawyers to them to participate in a case against the US government or something like that. Figuring out how much we owe him was a great way to keep me occupied. James commented that it's "good you have a job you like that much" that I actively turn to it when I need something to do, rather than avoiding it as much as possible.

For now I promise I will enjoy my paid vacation and not do work. I will just write silly things on my blog instead. 

Comments