Allisssson

Last Wednesday, I logged onto Skype for work as usual. Since we are a small staff with a few employees who work remotely, we have a group chat everyday to let everyone know when we're online and available to chat. It's also where we share updates with the team. Apart from this professional chat, I'm a part of a group chat where it's just the girls and me (because our one male employee does not need to hear everything that we giggle about). It's called "Jüstice Motion," and the explanation of it is too long of a story for me to put here (although a very good story so ask me about it). So on Wednesday, I logged in to see several unread messages on the Jüstice chat. I opened it and found this urgent message from Isabelle:


I was intrigued, and knowing each of my coworkers well, I thought that they had come up with fantastic ideas for their office anxieties animal. I also learned a new word, credenza. Given all of that, what would mine be?

I took some time to think. This was a very important creative imaginative exercise, so I wanted to make sure I captured my anti-spirit animal perfectly.

The first animal that came to mind was a snake. I wasn't immediately attached because I really love reptiles, but then I realized that picking an insect–(which I am terrified of and would hate to see anywhere near me in my office space (as a parentheses within a parentheses, just ask any of my coworkers about the moth that terrorized the Brooklyn office and my dad about the little spiders I have screamed at in my home office))–would be too cliché so I stuck with the snake. I also figured that a snake would be appropriate because she would slither menacingly around my desk and occasionally hang out around my neck and hiss things into my ear.

The snake's name is Allisssson. The kinds of Pointed Remarks™ she makes are the following:

1) Whenever I'm doing some menial task, she tells me what somebody I knew from college and/or a friend I admire is doing right at that moment–for example, "so and so just got accepted into grad school on a full scholarship/this one other person has just been offered a summer internship at the International Court of Justice/la-dee-dah is signing a lease for an amazing new apartment they can afford and will move in with their significant other...AND HERE YOU ARE COPY PASTING A PHONE NUMBER INTO SALESFORCE"

and

2) I'm not usually stressed at my job, but I do get a lot of secondary stress from my supervisor. Allisssson would then constantly criticize the way I do tasks for my supervisor and tell me how my work is going to ruin her day and add to her stress, which, transitively, will add to mine.

The girls appreciated this. Annika remarked, "Of course the Scorpio is the only one who picks a reptile," which made me feel flattered because I like being designated as "the Scorpio."

As for how I imagine Allisssson to look like, I think this meme captures her perfectly.


Not bad for an office anxieties animal. The somewhat self-absorbed person in me is actually pleased that I came up with such a fitting creature for myself. Wonder what she does on weekends. Maybe hangs out with Horton, Paco, and Viviennex/Vyviennex. Either way, I like to think I've learned to live with her, and that I continue to crank out my best work every single day! 

Comments