GC 50: Lessons learned this year

Wow, has it gotten to this point already? Sometimes I feel like I just started this gratitude challenge thing and now I'm supposed to think of lessons that I've learned this year.

I learned way more this year than I can list in a simple blog entry, but the prompt seems to be asking for lessons learned. The word "lessons" in this case implies things I experienced that led me to realize something I hadn't before, or just needed experience to fully believe in. This brings to mind a song by Barbra Streisand that goes, "There are no mistakes, just lessons to be learned." Thus, for this entry, I think I'll list some formerly recurring mistakes in my life, mistakes which have hopefully transformed into proper lessons learned that will be applied in the coming year.

1. I've been working on the other two and can't think of anything to put here as a placeholder. The main things from the year are the other two anyway, so I'll just leave this the way it is. Like, I didn't think it would be much of a list if it only has two items, but let's just leave it at this. Sorry.


2. Not caring enough about money.
Lol, and people hear more about caring too much about money as being some kind of mistake. Even though I'm super stingy and hate spending money on things (food and travel is the way to go), I feel like I've got more to learn when it comes to dealing with the $$. I was at least able to get a credit card that I've been paying off and maintaining a good score this year, but part of me wished that I worked more during the semester or cared more so that I wouldn't have to be stressing out about money in the future/now. That being said, I should take earning money more seriously so I can feel legitimate when I talk about outlandish travel plans (which are always funded by Harvard anyway, but my extra expenses are on me) and worry my parents less. Basically, this new year I hope to try to keep gaining work experience, something so many other students find is important but I have somehow just neglected in favor of travel, and to make more money. To personally fund travel for once.

3. Selling myself short.
I suppose this has something to do with my humble nature. I believe myself to be a completely ordinary, unassuming person–rejected applications to various things only affirm this fact, and lots of times I live in awe of what people around me are accomplishing with their lives (Harvard does that). I wonder what I could possibly contribute that nobody else can. I would especially sell myself short thinking of how boys see me. (Like, look at my forever self-deprecating Valentine's Day videos.) I had convinced myself that nobody would see anything special in me, which made me sad but then also prevented me from feeling hurt and disappointment, or at least I believed. However, this year, I think I've learned to stop selling myself short. A variety of factors led to this, mainly to do with other people telling me what they sincerely thought of me and me being in disbelief at how they saw me as such a person. Like, people have said things that =made me wish to see myself the way they see me. So perhaps the lesson is learning to stop selling myself short and start actually seeing myself the way those around me do. (I don't think I'll be able to fully let go of my self-deprecating nature, though; it's too embedded in my sense of humor.)

Am I really so much of a flawless person that I could only think of two mistakes from the year which led to these important lessons learned?

Thank you me, I guess, for being such a person, since now I don't have as much here to write.

Comments