GC 41: Hobbies

Is traveling a hobby? Nah, it's a lifestyle at this point, so I won't write about it.

Writing? I already wrote about keeping this blog and I've written extensively on writing in general.

I've come to realize that the longer I keep this blog and do this challenge, the harder it gets to think of things I haven't yet written about. But that's a pretty worthy challenge, I think.

Ooh, I know. A quirky hobby that I have is making cool playlists for me to listen to. Here's a short list of playlists I've made on Spotify and YouTube to give you an idea.

• Me, Zumba instructor: songs I would use if I were a Zumba instructor. Pretty much a one hour long playlist of some of my favorites, like "Back It Up" by Prince Royce and "Suerte" by Shakira.

• Ocean: songs that mention the ocean or are about the ocean or have ocean-y themes or have music videos filmed by the ocean. I love "Carrickfergus" by Charlotte Church and "À l'abri" by Christophe Maë.

• Destinations: songs that mention cities or countries, many of them mentioning several in the same song. Anything to fan the flames of my perpetual wanderlust. My favorites are "Choo Choo Cha Cha" by The Rinky Dinks (it mentions Cochabamba...'nuff said), and "Mas Masaya sa Pilipinas" by Siakol (a song in Tagalog that I thought was for promoting tourism in the Philippines but is actually about the resilience of Filipinos in face of natural disasters and quite inspiring).

• LDR playlist: A playlist that I haven't actually made anywhere but have a list of songs I would put on it to wistfully remind me of boys around the world that I've met and boys around the world I have yet to meet. LOL. (LDR stands for long-distance relationship, something that the hopeless romantic in me likes the idea of but the practical, pretty-much-penniless college student person in me doesn't.) What songs did I have on it again? I had "My Love" by Westlife and once again "Whenever, Wherever" by Shakira. Which is actually the English version of "Suerte" mentioned above but hey, I really like that song okay.

• You and I: songs named "You and I" or "Toi et Moi" or "Tú y Yo." (I'll find songs I like named "Du und Ich" and "Ikaw at Ako" eventually.) "You and I" by Ingrid Michaelson aka the first song I ever learned on the ukulele is obviously there, and I also like "You and I" by Lady Gaga.

• Disney songs authentic language: Self-explanatory, with selections such as "You'll bring honor to us all" in Mandarin, "A whole new world" in Arabic, and "Once upon a December" in Russian. Wait. I just now realized there aren't any in Spanish. Omg.

Yeah those are the most interesting ones. Why am I grateful to this hobby? I don't know, really. It's cute, I suppose. And since I always have the need to listen to music whenever I'm on my laptop, I have a pretty good variety to choose from.

Comments