GC 40: Greatest accomplishment

Oh, dear. What could I possibly put on here?

It's been a thing for me recently to say that my next goal is to make my greatest accomplishment something that's not getting into Harvard, because that's a pretty damn big deal. I like to think I've accomplished pretty cool things since then, but can't exactly point my finger to something I'd call my "greatest." So maybe I can talk about one of my greatest accomplishments?

Actually wait I just remembered a thought that passed through my head for this earlier that escaped me after I got distracted looking at a restaurant menu. My greatest accomplishment is my ukulele, Praliné. Or maybe I mean my relationship with my ukulele? Not to anthropomorphize it too much. Anyway.

I honestly don't think it's as much the ability to sing and play well, as it is the fact that I've been able to inspire and cheer so many people all over the world with it, not to mention inspire quite a few to start learning how to play too. It brings me joy to not only hear that I sound fantastic when I sing (because I do), but to know that people have come to associate me with the cheerful little instrument, and to see how happy people get when I sing for them. I really do enjoy singing for people. Praliné has been a part of so many journeys through different lands and different languages and I travel with it so often that my ukulele case is actually where I keep my passport.

I'm so grateful to have had my ukulele as part of my life and to have accomplished making so many genuine connections with people through it, and to have used it as a tool in my language learning (and self-deprecating #valentinesdayvideos) endeavors. It's been a part of me since even before I got into Harvard, and I suppose I can say that the fact that it has been a consistently amazing part of my life for all this time does make it my greatest accomplishment.

Also I've had Praliné for five years now. Time flies. Here's a video to celebrate of me singing my favorite song, split into different languages (parts taken from the versions I've learned it in!).

The song is: WATCH IT AND YOU'LL FIND OUT
Languages are: Español - Polski - Français - English - Tagalog - Português - Deutsch


Comments