GC 20: A friend 2

HAHA OOPS I completely forgot about this again. I did write it in my planner, but since school ended (!!) I haven't even looked at my planner, so as a consequence wasn't thinking about this.

I have remembered now though, which is what matters, and will write a more general overview of sophomore year/being halfway done with my Harvard career later when I'm not working full-time cleaning dorms.

 (Wait what, I'm halfway done??😱)

For this tribute, I'll elaborate a bit more on a friend I briefly mentioned in the gratitude challenge I wrote about the weather, this guy named Luca who worked in the same organization as me for our Spanish class.

Wow, where to begin? I mentioned in a previous entry that my Spanish class was my favorite class this semester, and part of the reason why was because it introduced me to Luca. There were only twelve students in the class so everyone got to know each other pretty well, but I got especially close to him because we were the only two assigned to do work in the Villa Victoria Center for the Arts (the largest Latino arts center in New England) in the South End.


We first started talking during the first week of volunteering. We worked on different days, so just briefly chatted after class ended back at Harvard. We lamented about not really being able to do real interactive work and just a lot of publicity things, but then he mentioned, "Oh well, at least Lex [our supervisor] is cute." (Luca is gay and at this point probably what one might call my "gay best friend." Though I don't really mean to use the term in the sense that a girl has a gay best friend who like gives her fashion and guy advice and is over-the-top; I guess I just mean it in the sense that he is a best friend, the best new friend of the semester in fact, and he is also gay.)  
My reply–"Okay, so I'm not weird for thinking he was cute too!" 

Following that, our first conversations mainly centered around our mild obsession with Lex and the lack of real community people-ish involvement during our internship at the center of the arts. It got to the point where I couldn't look at Lex without exerting considerable effort to stifle laughter. Eventually, Luca and I got to know each other better and found out we had similar philosophies towards our education and life in general. Our chats on Facebook became especially lively, and we'd continue to meet up to talk outside class. During the week before spring break, I took him to have lunch with me in Cabot (the upperclassman house where I live) before housing day, and on housing day itself, as I stormed dorms around Harvard Yard, I received a message from Luca saying he got placed into Cabot. That was the best news of the day that I received. This means that even if we don't have any classes together anymore, we'll be living in the same house and so will be able to see each other all the time!

Us at the arts center with a painting that was on display
I'm so thankful to have met Luca this past semester. To think this wouldn't have happened if I didn't decide to take that Spanish class. Seeing him would always make me really happy, as he seemed to constantly understand my point of view but at the same time be able to make me think differently about things. He also loves leaving campus and going into Boston, so it was really exciting for me to be able to share that passion with someone and to make plans to check out various cafés and do work in them soon. Like me, he is someone who knows how to make things happen, and through witnessing the amazing things he's accomplished, I'm thankful to have someone I can be inspired by as I go about my own crazy plans and to have this same someone be wholly supportive and admiring of me as well. (Lol if only I could get a straight guy I get along with on this same level, but then again I'd probably be too in love with him to continue living my life properly so it's better off this way

Oh yeah, I haven't even mentioned that he's an international student from Romania (me and those internationals hahaha) and, like all my other amazing international friends, has offered to host me there one day. I for sure will go, since Romania's been a place I've been meaning to go to ever since I met my first Romanian friend, Adela! It's weird, I haven't talked to him in a few days (normally we talk very often) because he's busy directing this film festival in Bucharest (where he lives), and I always have things to share that he'll also be excited about so he really needs to check his messages. 

No matter. I'm not worried at all, because I'm thankful to have yet another strong friendship I would never question. Besides, sadly unlike many of my international friends, I know when I'll see him again, and it's (relatively, compared to my other international friends, as he observed lol) very soon. 

Comments