Un(a) cantante, una historia

Today was the last day of my Spanish class.

It was my favorite class of the semester. I admit it was really ballsy of me to take an upper level Spanish class as my first ever Spanish class, but I got so much out of it. I'm even staying up past 1 am when I could be studying or working on presentations just so I can say a few things about it.

What led me to take it, anyway?

At first, I thought I was gonna take second year second semester German in the hopes it'd give me a better chance of being accepted into the Vienna summer program (which I was accepted into anyway, will probably bring up more later), but then my German TF Hans told me I was better off taking some other class since he believed I wouldn't need it.

I had already heard of Spanish 59, but had never really considered taking it. For some reason though, while looking for some class to replace German, it came to my mind. I didn't really want to take a class that would teach me Spanish grammar, since I felt like I had enough of a grasp of it after my month in Bolivia and having Rodrigo around to talk to. Spanish 59 seemed perfect–I would improve my oral and written skills in the language, all while learning about the Latino experience in the USA (the class also counted for my secondary in Ethnicity, Migration, and Rights). Plus, there was a volunteer component that would entail using the language in the real world. However, it said that to take it, I had to either have had an adequate placement test score (wasn't up to taking any test), have completed up to Spanish 40 (lol nope), or instructor permission. I opted for the latter. It seemed the most simple, albeit intimidating.

So after around two weeks of on and off communication with the professor of this class, I finally scheduled a conversation with her to express my interest in taking it.

The entire thing took place in Spanish, and ended very positively with her saying I would really enjoy the class and wouldn't have any problems in it. What I didn't know though, was that I had to submit an application and have another interview at the beginning of the semester, which really freaked me out when this semester started since I thought that I already had a guaranteed spot. However, that made being accepted into the class all the more satisfying.

There were only 12 of us, and overall we were a really great group that got along swimmingly. There's so much more I could say about this class, but I'm going to talk about today and the final photographic project. For this project, we had to take a series of photos that tell a story and use a theme discussed in class. The broad theme I chose was the influence of Latino music in the USA.

I brought up in a previous entry that I chose to photograph my friend Luis, this hot singer who studies at the Berklee School of Music. Here is the description of the project I wrote, and then the five photos I took.
An immigrant from Bolivia. A contestant in American Idol. A server in the South End. A student in the Berklee College of Music– 
All of these labels are a part of Luis Gamarra's identity. 
How a person identifies themselves doesn't only give more insight into who they are, but also into the communities that they consider they belong to. After all, while we can acknowledge that behind each face we see in passing, online, or in the news there is a story, we must also be aware of the fact that human beings are also part of a larger community and play a role in shaping it. 
In Gamarra's case, much can be said about his reach within the Latino community in the USA and how he intends to make a positive impact in it. He hopes to incite social change, and he does so through the various identities that he has adopted. But behind the ambitious public figure lauded in Bolivian news networks, UnivisiĆ³n, and even People magazine, there is an individual who faces challenges and has hopes and dreams much like anyone else. 
These pictures tell the story of someone you may have seen before or are just seeing now, in real life or in the media, and offer at once a glimpse into his everyday life as well as his aspirations.  






At the end of my presentation, I had planned on surprising the class with a ukulele performance of an excerpt of Say Something in the Spanish version Luis had written. I arrived early so I could hide my ukulele, though my TF was already there. We got to talking, she obviously noticed my ukulele, so she asked me to play something, so of course I gladly obliged. As I was playing, two classmates of mine ended up walking in, so I suppose the surprise was ruined for them oops. But they really enjoyed my singing, and with my TF complimented me on it. They told me I had a really sweet-sounding voice (contrary to my speaking voice I feel like LOL) and I got the impression they wanted to listen more. It touched me to hear. Singing is something I like to think I do for others as much as I do for myself, so it was nice to have that affirmed.

Eventually, towards the end of the class when I hadn't gone yet, my TF told me, "Amanda, why don't you go?" so I obliged and started giving my presentation about Luis.

At around the second photo, my TF commented, "He's really good-looking, isn't he?" and much of the class (9 girls, 3 boys, one of which is gay and with whom I have spoken extensively with over Luis' handsomeness) erupted in agreement. I found that really funny–I was just trying to give my presentation and briefly explain each photo, but there I was in the second one talking about how he works in Barcelona Wine Bar & Restaurant in the South End and hearing comments along the lines of "Now I know where I wanna go for dinner!" and "Let's take a class trip!" I couldn't help but laugh and agree with them.
At the end, because music is something that is meant to be shared, I took out my ukulele from where I hid it and sang for everyone. They loved it. I think it was definitely another highlight of the semester and a fantastic way to finish the class.

Which leaves me to discuss the fact that a Spanish class that I never thought I would take has become one of my favorite classes at Harvard.
I've already brought it up, but I've really come so far from my initial resentment of the Spanish language and indifference towards the Latino community. Everything has most certainly happened for the better, as now I feel like I can genuinely engage with a community that's super important in this country, one that as a Filipino immigrant I feel like I can relate to in some other ways too. It's interesting to think of how I was not too long ago, and how I am now. Sometimes these things happen; in this case, a class I just randomly thought I should take ended up being my favorite class of the semester. I enjoyed the readings, the discussions, being able to do both in Spanish, improving my competence in the language, and also the people the class introduced me to at school but also out during volunteering. That's an entire other aspect I will write in my end of the semester/year entry, so you'll have to stay tuned for that.

So far, this whole going with impulsive, calculated decisions (oxymoron intended) has been working out really well for me. Wonder where it will take me next?

Comments