GC 16: The simple things in life

Ahh, the simple things.

Like getting to see the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas within the span of a couple of hours.

(Just another day at Harvard.)

Anyway, funny that these events should happen today when I write this blog, but these things happen to me so I'm not that surprised. I didn't even know I'd end up attending these talks until very recently; I didn't find out about the UN one until last Tuesday, and I didn't find out about the JAV one until yesterday. But I'm really thankful to have been able to go to both.

I got a lot from these talks. It's 10:45 so I'm going to disappoint myself and my readers (aka just my mom and grandma) by not going into more detail, but overall it was inspiring for me to hear from such prominent figures in the fields of human rights and immigration and dealing-directly-with-the-human-induced-bullshit-of-this-world. They both helped me imagine what kind of work I might end up doing in the future. If I could be anything like them and have that much influence in the causes that they so deeply care about, I think I'd feel pretty fulfilled with life.

So yeah, thank you, simple privilege of being a Harvard student that gets me easy access to these people, for making today happen for me.

Comments