GC 14: A talent you have

Hmm, talent... sometimes, being in this place makes me question whether I have any talent at all, considering how awfully easy it is to feel average in a sea of such brilliant, accomplished souls.

Buuut, if there is some "talent" that makes me feel special, it's my note-taking ability. About three years ago, in an attempt to be more like the French kids, I adopted writing notes that were color-coded and divided into distinct sections. I was in awe of how pretty everyone's notes were, and I wanted to be like them, too.

I brought the habit back to the USA, continued being obsessive about how I took notes, and this semester have developed a really efficient, creative system of doing so. Like, I have particular ways I use colors, and little symbols I add from time to time to emphasize certain ideas as I sit in lecture or I do readings. I consider this semester the official one where I have ditched lined notebooks in favor of completely blank ones. I love the freedom that they allow me; I can write in any size I want, doodle, add colors, etc. Maybe sometime I'll post pictures of notes I've taken. Either way, people always comment on the way I take notes, and I've become quite proud of them.

So I guess I'm thankful for how reliable my note-taking skills are. Not only are the notes I take nice to look at, they actually also help me at school. Besides, they always say if you write things down you retain the material better. Incidentally, I don't wholly believe in this, but I'd like to, so I continue handwriting my notes (in the grand majority of cases) anyway.

Comments