GC 13: A challenge you've overcome

Oops. This time I actually completely forgot about this thing and didn't get back to it until my mom called and reminded me. Thanks mom!

Hm, I don't know off the top of my head what I can put for this that I haven't already brought up in a previous blog entry. So after starting this entry and leaving it for a few hours, I've decided upon something that I suppose is also fairly recent.

Like most normal human beings, I used to be seriously self conscious about my figure. To an extent, it hasn't completely gone away, though any anxieties I once had about the way I looked have since dissipated and only exist as fleeting concerns about "how do I look today?"

I was never the conventional kind of skinny. I've always been somewhat chubby, or as it is more positive/appropriate to my age to say, curvy. It used to bother me a lot, especially because I never grew taller than I was in 7th grade and only grew wider (buuuuut boobs also got way bigger so at least there's that). As much as it pains me to admit now, the fact that boys never seemed to pay attention to me probably aggravated my grievances. From time to time, I'd see pictures of myself that'd make me cringe. (Actually, even now, though I feel like with less frequency.) I think it was also living with my taller than me, very slender younger sister that made me feel inadequate or not up to some universal beauty standard, and that I could never be as aesthetically appealing as her. I would also hate it when people very obviously skinnier than me would complain about their weight, or seriously put in effort into losing it, like dieting or working out regularly. It made me feel like there was something I ought to be doing, which at times would make me feel worse.

How did I overcome this, exactly? I'm lucky to be as comfortable in my own skin as I am now, considering how many people face more serious versions of this problem and go so far as to become physically ill from the search for "perfection." I am in no way skinnier. I probably have gained weight ever since I first became conscious about how I looked. I probably will never be the conventional kind of skinny I once idly aspired to be. But I think it's come from being exposed to a more mainstream acceptance of different kinds of bodies, and of being more conscious about my contributions to society and to my friends rather than my physical appearance. I think it's also working out regularly even if it's just Zumba at 7:15 am, and making a conscious decision to walk as much as I can, or (weather permitting) bike. I've learned that I'm actually really healthy, overweight-ness aside, considering I never have issues at all with my health and rarely ever get sick. (And even then, it's mainly glorified allergies.) I've also learned not to compare myself to others, which has overall made me a happier and more confident person.

Why am I grateful for being a little teapot short and stout? (HEY NAME OF THIS BLOG)
It's just all a matter of growing into my identity I suppose. I'm grateful to have struggled with my appearance, because it makes it all the more satisfying being content with how I look now. It also takes some challenges and setbacks for a person to eventually realize what truly matters to them. I'm glad that I do now.

To celebrate my being satisfied with how I look, here's a picture of myself I particularly like!


Comments