GC: A friend 1

For this, I'm going to bring up somebody who hasn't previously been brought up in this blog.


This is my friend Khue from Vietnam.
I first heard of her the summer before freshman year, when all the freshmen participating in the Freshman Arts Program started an email chain briefly introducing themselves. I remember reading hers, being excited that the group would have an international student (lol, as usual), and thinking she seemed like a really cool person and hoping to get to know her.

We met during that pre-orientation arts week and became fast friends. As our new lives as Harvard students began, we continued hanging out, and from the very beginning Khue has seen me through some of my worst moments here and through some of my best. I won't go into detail, because I'm sending this to her and she'll know what I'm talking about without me needing to say anything (also it's past midnight and I'm really sleepy and have a show I'm performing at tomorrow I digress). She has been such an important friend to me here, and I am thankful for her every day. If she weren't on this campus with me for whatever reason, I would definitely feel like a part of me would be absent as well, not having her nearby and only a message away.

Khue is probably the most adorable girl I've ever seen, yet also among the most determined and confident. She has the kind of feisty personality that I feel like Asian girls of short stature sometimes tend to have, which is one of the reasons we get along so well. I look up to how Khue approaches life, going for whatever it is she wants knowing full well she also deserves it and can have it.

As the best of friends tend to do, she has helped me see things about myself that I wouldn't have been able to articulate, and helped me realize the kind of person that I want myself to be. Whenever I'm with her, I feel like the best version of myself, and she never fails to let me know what it is about me that makes me special. I can talk to her about anything, and she listens without judging and always gives me helpful sisterly advice. Really, she is one of those people without whom my world would be drastically different.

So Khue, from our weekly mealtimes in Lowell to impulsive trips to Café Algiers, I have greatly enjoyed every moment I've spent with you and am looking forward to all of our next meetings, whether routine or spontaneous. Hope we can both hang out in either Vietnam or the Philippines sometime, and once again, as I have already said many times over, thank you for being such an amazing friend; it means so much to me.

Comments