Something you always think "What if..." about

While I'm already here, I might as well answer today's prompt.

The first thing that comes to mind is, "What if I didn't go to Harvard?"

This is something I think about fairly often; I was actually discussing this with Annie yesterday. If we didn't go to Harvard but went to, say, a state school, or a school where they didn't throw so many of the world's prodigies into the same immediate vicinity, we realized that we would probably be in similar standing to how we were before we got here.

We'd be the achievers, we'd be at the top of the class, we'd basically be feeling the same as we were in high school.

I'd be a hardcore pre-med, lol.

I'd be super certain about my future and what I wanted to do with my life, like I had been for most of my life before going to Harvard.

I wouldn't have to deal with as many feelings of self-doubt or worry or anxiety about myself and whether or not I actually deserve to be here. (Inversely, sometimes I do feel like I'm somewhat less worried about what I'm doing and everything, because I'm already at Harvard, if that counts for anything.)

However, I wouldn't change my being at Harvard for a thing. Because if I weren't at Harvard:

I wouldn't have gotten the chance to explore some subjects I never thought I would adore, on several incidences based on a whim. (cough social sciences cough)

I wouldn't have gotten so much money to travel to some far-off places, and reunite with some old friends from around the world, not even two years into my Harvard career.

I never would have thought that there's more to life than what the younger me was thinking, and that there were so many other ways to be considered "smart" besides getting good grades at school.

And last but not least, I wouldn't have met the incredible people I call my friends who just brighten my days, provide fantastic conversation, inspire me with their determination and accomplishments, and make my life infinitely more interesting and fun to live.

So though I do wonder what life would have been like were I not here, and even if life here gets really tough sometimes, I wouldn't trade being a Harvard student for the world. Rather, being a Harvard student opens up the entire world for me, providing me with a myriad of opportunities to explore it and helping me figure it out what exactly it is I can do for it. Though I may not know for sure, I'm certain that things will come together during my time here, and with my friends by my side and the chance to try many new things while continuing to do what I love, my time here will be the best of my life thus far.

Comments