Some words of wisdom that speak to you

For once, I know the perfect way to write to this prompt.

Recently, I came across this saying I really liked. I think it was on European Languages Day, and I saw a picture with various sayings in different European languages and looked at it to read the ones in the languages I understand. I can't remember what exactly there was for Spanish, French, and German, but when I saw the Polish one and couldn't understand all the words, I asked Natalia to translate it for me.

The saying is–

Nie wystarczy mówić do rzeczy; trzeba mówić do ludzi.

The thing that makes the entire thing so fantastic is the phrase, "mówić do rzeczy." Literally translated, it means, "to talk about things"; however, figuratively, it can also mean, "to speak with sense." So the entire phrase can be translated two ways.

a) It is not enough to talk about things; one must talk to people.

b) It is not enough to speak with sense; one must talk to people.

So much of why I think language is important is in this one sentence. It makes me want to squeal with delight. Language exists so people have a means of relating to one another. It can sometimes seem as if people talk for the sake of talking, or talk for the sake of proving their own knowledge; but as this saying implies, that in itself is not the true purpose of speaking. We have the capability of language so that we can connect to other people, because this life isn't meant to be lived only understanding the world from our own individual perspective. As I am the kind of person who loves seeing life from different perspectives, so I am passionate about learning different languages and other ways of thinking. Thus, this quote really does speak to me, despite it not being in a language that I don't (yet) know by heart.

Comments