10 songs you're loving right now

I admit I cheated on this a bit and came up with the list in advance, but all the better, because I have 7:15 am Zumba tomorrow (I just don't stop) and I want to sleep.

Also, I will actually put a little explanation on why I love each song so much. These aren't all necessarily songs I'm loving *right now* because a lot of them are just on my perpetual "favorite song" list, but anyway, here they are.

Life in Technicolor ii - Coldplay


First of all, I love the instrumental in the beginning. The instruments are evocative of a far-off land inviting the listener to discover it, and the lyrics make me think of surreal art in their whimsy and the way that they flow so well together. Just a beautiful song.

Bailando - Enrique Iglesias


I just have good memories associated with this song. It played all the time in Bolivia. When I went to Zumba last week I was feeling kind of sick so I told myself to leave at 8 instead of staying till 8:10, but then this song came on at 8 and needless to say, I stayed until it finished.

War Paint - Fletcher


This song came up on Spotify and I loved it immediately, and it always lifts my spirit whenever it comes up on my playlist. I really like the drums in the background, they add to its fighting spirit, and overall this song is one of those that motivates me to keep giving whatever I'm working on my all.

Au Revoir - Mark Forster ft. Sido



Contrary to what the name implies, this song is actually a German song. As you can probably guess from the video, he's basically feeling relieved after breaking up with his girlfriend. That isn't the part I like to relate to in the song, however; it's the rap part that basically says things like "I'm gonna go on great adventures and be free and do all these things and I'm fine just going by myself nothing can stop me." It's inspiring.

The Nights - Avicii


This song combines a thought-provoking message with a fantastic beat and instrumentals. This song makes me think of, for some reason, being somewhere wild running around with a bunch of friends around a bonfire but at the same time also being in the middle of a huge city in some kind of dance club up in some high rise with huge windows overlooking the rest of the city that's all lit up in some kind of spectacular urban art display. Yeah.

Elle Me Dit - MIKA


This song will never get old. 

Himno Nacional de Bolivia - Sonidos Bolivianos


I put this for three reasons. 1) I like the Bolivian national anthem–its end actually has a melody very similar to the end of the Philippine national anthem; 2) This video is really well made, and it reminds me of the fact that I still have to see the salar de uyuni (I wanna see it really badly); and 3) I have actually met the guy who sings it. (HE'S SO COOL) Long story, will tell it here at some point.

Bebot - Black-Eyed Peas



Super cool that the Black-Eyed Peas did a song in Tagalog. I remember it from when I was still living in the Philippines, but didn't really think about it again until around February 2013 when my Indian friend on a bus trip brought it up. I was very entertained by the fact that she knew it. It's on my Spotify playlist so it comes up, and I like the fact that the rap is in Tagalog and I can understand it all, and it advocates Filipino pride.

Up - Olly Murs ft. Demi Lovato


I put the acoustic version because it's the one I listen to more often, but overall it's a really great song. I can't personally relate to what it's about, but I find its optimism very touching, and figure that if ever I go through a situation similar to that the song speaks of, it'll help me work through it and emerge better.

Naucz Mnie - Sarsa


I still remember the first time I heard this song (or the first time I paid attention to it); I was with Natalia (my Polish sister) on a bus going to Katowice from Krakow. I really liked it, and asked Natalia to help me discern its title. After that, I heard it very often throughout my stay in Poland this past summer, particularly in the dining hall we would eat in. So yes, it's another one of those songs that brings me back to a particular time period and gives me good vibes.

Obviously, I listen to songs for reasons more than just for the sake of listening to music. I'm not gonna go into a philosophical discussion on why because like I said I have 7:15 Zumba tomorrow and I'm sleepy, but if you listened to these songs, I hope you enjoyed doing so and getting a glimpse into the inner workings of my crazy mind!

Comments