wild blue yonder


During one of my meetings for an extracurricular, we had an ice breaker activity. The people leading the meeting asked a question everyone had to answer, which was, "If you were a Crayola crayon, which one would you be and how does it make you feel?"
I first thought of my favorite colors, red and yellow, which together make orange. But I don't really consider myself orange; so perhaps I could have said a mix between yellow orange and orange red...?
Anyway, considering I'm not too well-versed in Crayola colors beyond the most obvious ones, I went online and found a comprehensive list of all the colors that Crayola has sold in crayon form in its history (thanks Wikipedia). One caught my eye–wild blue yonder. It resonated with me for so many reasons. So when it became my turn, I said that I would be this crayon, and it would make me feel adventurous and like running into the ocean.
This was on Wednesday, but I bring this up now because I just had a weekend that this crayon would sum up quite adequately.

On Friday night, my friends and I had plans to go to this party that would take place on a boat. So on Friday evening, we made our way to the World Trade Center pier. Upon boarding the boat and going onto the top deck, I looked around and noticed that all flags of different nations all lined the pier. For a visual (please excuse the watermark), here is a picture I took off of Google Images:


Of course, it was dark when the boat was lined up at the dock, so the flags weren't very conspicuous. I noticed them nonetheless, and found it quite suiting to the company I had that night.


In terms of birth countries represented, this picture has the USA, Estonia, Mexico, the Philippines, Brazil, and Bolivia. This sort of company makes the world seem small, though the expanse of ocean in front of us certainly made it seem otherwise too.
The party was fun, and the views were spectacular.



We went out onto the sea till the Boston skyline was a sliver of light. I'd say it was pretty far; here's a blurry picture to illustrate it.


I had a blast, despite the chill of the sea winds. When we were far enough on the water, I could see stars twinkling against a pitch black sky. That, with the background of the city and its lights reflected onto the water, made for a perfect view, made only more perfect by the company.

As for today, I went the furthest out of the Boston area I have since I arrived. With my partner-in-adventure/crime Annie, we took an actual above-ground train to a seaside town north of here called Manchester by the Sea. Boy was I thrilled to be on a train again.

Our default excited faces

I met up with my host family there. (Harvard has this program you can apply for where you're matched with a family and you get to do stuff with them, like, eat a home-cooked meal because you don't get those in college.) First order of business–go to the beach with the dog!
I love dogs. I love the beach. It was a fine way to clear my head and unwind, and remind myself of the wild blue yonder that exists beyond the college bubble. Also, my phone takes some unreal looking pictures.



An adorable Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Harry, whom we met clambering down a large boulder







Singing Beach, Manchester by the Sea, Massachusetts
My host mom (who is French!) cooked a home-cooked meal for lunch. Annie and I were absolutely delighted by the cajun spiced chicken she cooked on a grill. I also got to keep playing with Calvin, the chocolate lab.


My host parents then took Annie and me on a tour of Manchester by the Sea, driving around the neighborhoods of colonial style houses. It was rather chilly, but the sun shone broadly through the trees turning a wide array of yellow orange and orange red colors. It was the image of the quintessential New England fall, complete with the sparkling sea. 
We drove further north to a town called Gloucester and got to see a memorial dedicated to all the fishermen who lost their lives at sea. 






Annie and I are just too photogenic for our own good
My host parents and me
The memorial was another opportunity to reflect upon the wild blue yonder. The vast expanses of sea and sky provide countless perils to those who are daring enough to venture into them, but along with those risks lies an entire new world to discover. Or rather, many different worlds with fantastic people I could meet that hail from every direction I could possibly choose to take. I live on this perpetual temptation of adventure. There's so much more to this world than the bubble, and I am glad to have constant opportunities to remind myself of this fact and keep me grounded.

Leaving the Boston area was very refreshingly splendid. I would say that I'll be content staying in Harvard for a longer time now, but naaaah that ain't me.

New York City in five days. Stay tuned!

Comments