What is even happening

Today marks the first day of classes at Harvard.

Of course, it didn't go at all the way I was planning it to. So what else do I do other than sit here distraught writing a blog entry?

I'm not going to explain the procedure of picking classes here, but here are the basics:

  • there is an online course guide that lists everything you need to know about a certain course
  • the first week is called shopping week, meaning right now everyone's just visiting different courses before picking the four that they will take for first semester
  • I have pretty much determined which classes I want to take, so I was just going to visit them all this week
I visited a linguistics class this morning that I definitely plan on taking, and it went really well. One of the teaching fellows is from Poland (YAAAY), so I was eager to talk to him about it. He seemed surprised and happy that I knew so much, even that his hometown Łódź (a word in Polish that means "boat") is an example of irony because the city is nowhere near any source of water. 

Anyway, the second class I was planning on shopping today was German Dab, an intensive intermediate German full-year course crammed into one semester. Before I went, I memorized everything I needed to know- Sever Hall 110, 1-3 pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays. I went to Sever Hall 110, a few minutes before 1 pm. I walked in, and nothing at all indicated that it was a German class. I went up to the teaching fellow and asked if it was German, and he looked at me and said

No

It's actually a class on the British revolution

(something like that, I'm paraphrasing here)

I showed him the online guide and how everything said German was supposed to be in that place at that time, and he became rather perplexed as well. I left feeling distraught and clueless.

I'm still quite bedraggled. 

I really hope to take this German class. I was hoping to be near fluent after the first semester.
Ah well, we'll see.

In the meantime, bring on the rest of the week!

Comments