My easel attacked me this weekend

What better place than a speech and debate tournament to be hurt by your own materials?
I've been doing speech and debate for all of high school (except my junior year which I spent doing a whole new speech event called "Become fluent in a foreign language"), and not once have I ever been subject to physical pain (that wasn't hunger) from any of the tournaments I've attended. But on March 1st, my third-to-the-last tournament, things took a turn for the worse.
To give some background context, there are two events I like to do - expository speaking (or expos, which I've been doing the longest), and after dinner speaking (ADS) which I just started doing and will get to talking about later. Expos involves carrying around boards used as visuals, and in most cases a portable easel as well. I love expos, but carrying all that stuff around can be such a drag. (Hm, I guess it provides a decent upper arm workout) Especially having to set everything up in a round and put it away. So after my first round of expos was over at the tournament, I was hastily putting my stuff away thanks to an ADS round I had to speak in right after that. My easel is one of the more complicated ones I've seen on the circuit; you wind a handle to lengthen its legs, and then wind it back to tighten it and let it stay. If I'm in a hurry, I hold it upside down and let the leg fall into its case. Except I must have placed my finger in the wrong place or something, because the leg fell abruptly and I felt my finger get pinched between the edge of the movable leg and its case. I felt a sharp pain but thought nothing of it and continued to keep my stuff. And then when I looked at my finger, it was actually bleeding profusely out of a slit on the middle phalanges. The blood had even reached the other side of the finger. I washed my finger and then asked for a band-aid.
Much to my dismay, I saw a small smudge of blood (that could easily pass as a smudge of red paint, thankfully) on one of my expos poster boards while I was giving the speech in a later round. Oops.
I told my friends on the team of it and then added that those visuals were literally made out of my blood, sweat, and tears. Because, well, they are now.

Comments