Fun fact: I have a very authentic-sounding disclaimer voice

(Alternate title for this entry: Hopes and dreams that actually become true)

I brought up in my last entry that I would talk about the other speech and debate event that I do, ADS. So let's start from the beginning.
I first heard of the event probably as a freshman when I started out on the team. When I participated at the state tournament, I saw on the schedule that "ADS finals" would take place in the pre-awards ceremony (the one saying which speakers get to advance past preliminaries), in front of everyone. Meaning, the ADS finalists would be speaking in front of all the competitors and their coaches, probably equating to a few hundred people. But why those kids? What makes them so special? Well, probably the nature of the event is what would make it enjoyable for everyone to watch. ADS is a humorous conversational speech with a serious undertone. The best ADS speeches are peppered with jokes that incite uproarious laughter from the audience, which is why this event is best done in a crowd (rather than like three other people in the room, which is lame).
My sophomore year, my team and I actually attended the ceremony where the ADS finalists speak. It took place in a college auditorium, and I couldn't help but feel in awe of the competitors who had made it that far and were about to give a speech in front of so many people. It must have been so thrilling to have their speech laughed at (...in a good way), empowering to stand on that stage. The speeches were fantastic. They were hysterical, and were just all around well-done. The jokes, the timing, the content, everything about those speeches was perfect. I only wished I could give such a speech.
Before my final year of speech and debate started, I knew that I wanted to do expos. The thought of me doing ADS was at the time a pipe dream; I could see myself doing it, but had no idea how successful I'd be in the face of so many experienced people. But luckily, I had friends who saw the potential in me.


These are Alex and Ashley (gasp! real names on the blog!), two of my very good friends from the team.
Our first tournament was on November 9th, and as is the case with tournaments, we had a lot of free time once all our rounds were over, waiting for awards. Alex and Ashley went to watch the finals round for ADS, while I went to my finals round for expos. Afterwards, we went to our "creeper corner," and, being strangely fatigued and energetic, we brainstormed ideas on what I could do for an ADS, laughing our heads off at the bizarre-o ideas that came to our minds. We then enthusiastically resolved that we would come up with a winning ADS.
Hm. Me doing ADS seemed like a good idea.
We became serious about it, and met at a café to continue to come up with ideas. I had decided my topic would be about exchange students, and thus they helped me write and shape my speech.
Our coach helped me with it even more, and eventually, I tried it out at our next tournament, which took place in January 31st.
I didn't have too high of expectations for myself, considering it was my first time doing the event.
But guess what? I broke to the finals round.
And in the classroom where it was held, the words "ADS finals: the funniest place on Earth!" were written on the board. A surge of pride welled within me, and I thought of how me making ADS finals was once just a wistfully imagined scenario. It all happened so fast.
During awards, every finalist for the speech events is called up when their event is. So when ADS was called up, I went up on stage, and they started announcing everyone's names. And when they announced 3rd place, they said my name, and I just stood there, incredulous.
THIRD PLACE.
WHAT!?


They handed out these sweet trophies.
I began to feel very confident with my ADS, speculating that maybe, just maybe, I could even final at state where the best ADS speakers in Oregon get to give their speeches in a full auditorium.
I did ADS again at the tournament on March 1st (the one where my finger got sliced by one of my materials), and I ended up breaking to finals again. Around 50 people watched that round, and it was exhilarating. I loved it.
I ended up taking second place.
Well, we all know what comes after that.

STATE, HERE I COME!

(Disclaimer: State has not happened yet, and although I know that I have qualified for ADS, I do not know if I will even make semi-finals. You can bet that I will do my best, though. Either way, it's big enough of a deal that I get to compete at state for this event! And also, the title of this entry originates from the fact that I use a disclaimer voice during certain parts of my ADS. Not necessarily because the entry has a disclaimer at the end of it. But still.)

Complimentary picture of my sexy speech and debate team, because I love them so.

Comments