Why I should at all times have my cell phone with me no matter what

It's true. I don't carry around my cell phone everywhere I go. Nobody ever texts me, and I don't even really leave the house. While my contemporaries at school were all clamoring for the iOS 7 update on their iPhone 5s, I wandered the hallways not even thinking of my phone that was probably untouched on the table at my house. I kinda neglect it. You'd think that my not incessantly being glued to a screen talking to people would please my parents, but it's quite the opposite. I've been reprimanded more often than I would like to admit for not keeping my cell phone with me.
Furthermore, I hate having my phone with me when I'm out on a drive with my instructor. It's like all those videos I watched from the beginning of high school imploring kids not to text and drive have scarred me permanently. I still have these gruesome images of kids having their lives ended abruptly because they decided to do something dumb like shoot off a message while behind the wheel. Those videos sure did have an effect on me, all right. Not only have they convinced me that I absolutely should not take my eyes off the road when I drive, but somehow the idea has gone into my head that cell phones and cars should simply not be in the immediate area surrounding my person at the same time.

WHICH APPARENTLY IS WRONG

On my way to my drive lesson, my dad asked me if I brought my phone. As usual, I gave him the answer he hates- "No, sorry." Exasperated, he proceeded to lecture me on why I should always have it in case anything happened blablabla, and I just replied, "Nothing's gonna happen, it's all gonna go normally."

ahahaha

ha

really.

I met up with Christian, my drive instructor, and the other kid who was gonna do the drive with me (we take turns during the two-hour session) arrived soon after. His name was Matt, and he was pleasurable company. He and I were on our 6th drives, which meant that after that, we would be done with our lessons!
I drove first. Christian conversed with both Matt and me, and albeit the rain it was a pleasant drive. It started off normally like all five of the previous drives I had done before.
la la la la
I had been driving for just over 20 minutes when Christian noticed that his check engine light was one, so he told me to pull over immediately. We were driving down this residential road surrounded by tall trees, and I ended up turning down into someone's driveway. Awkward. We stopped the car, and steam started coming out of the hood. It was quite the quandary.
There we were, in some stranger's driveway, with a car that overheated. Plus nobody was at the house. It was a really unusual situation. Christian said it had never happened before. We weren't quite sure what to do.
BUT Christian had his phone. He proceeded to call someone up on it, probably his boss. At least that's what Matt and I thought. So when Christian said, "Hi, dad" Matt and I couldn't help but snicker to ourselves. Christian anxiously left the car to speak with his dad and also call his boss, and Matt remarked, "I guess grown men still seek help from their dads." I agreed.
Christian's dad ended up picking us up and driving us back to where we started. Matt observed that the car's windshield wipers didn't wipe from side to side, but each opened outwards. It was really strange. All complimenting, of course, this strange incident. Of all the times, places, and people it could've happened to, it happened to us. Just goes to show that I shouldn't speak so soon when I say, "Nothing's gonna happen, it's all gonna go normally."
(My dad only supported his case for why I should bring my phone everywhere when I had to notify him of what happened using Christian's phone. Oops.)

Before I ever had a phone, I hated when I saw teenagers so heavily dependent on their phones and always using them even in the company of other people. It was annoying and disrespectful and I knew I didn't want to be that way. I guess I took it to the extreme by practically resenting use of my phone entirely.
Whoops.
After this, I promise I'll try to be more normal. As normal as a cell-phone-neglecting life-blog-writing girl like me can get, anyway.

Comments